Author
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winner KOTM January & February
    Posted: 07 March 2017 at 7:33pm
Ladies and gentlemen,

It's that time of the (two) month(s) again! I'm a bit late with it due to an unexpected, yet awesome, distraction but fret not. I am here to provide you with awesome stuff and stuff. Yeah.

The challenge for Jan & Feb was not only writing something to a picture but a beat aswell. The idea behind it was to 1) Test lyrical prowess when thrown in the deep and 2) To see if a contestant can provide atmosphere in his/her piece while being directed by said beat and picture. I must say that I've been extremely happy with the results. Some of you even provided the recorded piece, even people of whom I did not expect that.

Let us start it off, shall we?

The dude who set this challenge off with impossible standards. A few months back I said I wouldn't provide any feedback to KOTM pieces as that may cause to become biased during voting due to the awesomeness provided and I just couldn't stop myself from replying. Now let me assure you, I'm not biased in my final verdict but I cannot stress enough how Rhet exactly embodied my vision in this challenge. So thank you for that Rhet. As for the piece itself, it's just very well written. The layering between technical with simple wording to metaphors which are out of this world. Just simply phenomenal. 

Big homie CHAIN came in this unexpectedly. He first hit me up to say I suck and that this challenge wasn't really for him. Then he proceeds to blindside me and dropped this gem of a work. CHAIN time and time again proves that he's just an absolute juggernaut when it comes writing stuff and this was no exception. The guy immediately draws you in with a classic 808-ish flow and keeps you hooked with the smooth wording while still being able to paint a dope picture. The whole piece gave me a "The Rite" feel (awesome movie by the way. Just don't ask CHAIN for a recommendation because he didn't like the movie.) The cliffhanger is dope and leaves you fiending for more.

This piece explains why CHAIN didn't like the movie The Rite. Too complex for him lmao. It's true that I had to explain him the "Souffleur on Solomon's grave" line. While on a first glance it can seem weird but trust me. Every single line Alice writes took her great thought and ability to come up with. From start to finish you're bombarded with metaphors, angles and whatnot which can make you feel really dumb as it feels so effortless. She herself already gave an explanation to CHAIN as to what the piece entails, so if you're interested or still don't know what it's exactly about, read it. You'll leave with a lightbulb moment. The greatest strength about this piece is how fragile, yet personal to the writer the protagonist in the story seems to appear. 

Another one which came by surprise. Though low on replies, the responses he did get were overly positive. The thing I really wished was homie Neek providing us with an audio to go with this. Dude has mad skill and it's just something that I personally really wanted. As for the piece itself... It's weird at first because he's telling about something we all hate... Daily routine. Yet he does it in such a fashion that it makes the reader go like "damn, this is exactly how I've been feeling the last X amount of years." Inclusion of dope metaphors, real life questions and the endless struggle of routine. Great job, big homie!

The dude who I keep forgetting to feed. My bad, man! Let's make it up here.... This piece is so fucking crazy start to finish. Yes, one might argue that it's "predictable" but predictable isn't bad if the everything leading up to the ending is extremely well (and emotionally) written. This piece perfectly reflects what goes on in the world and isn't afraid to speak about it. We start with an unwanted pregnancy, then find out it's basically a child carrying. Then we move towards the typical deadbeat dad situation with a very atypical incest situation which results in suicide. I thought the piece was incredibly moving in that it grabs you and doesn't let go. This is strengthened more with lines as "7th grade is hard enough, to be a mom ain't easy street" and "Made me feel comfortable enough to cum in me."

Another surprise audio contestant. On text the piece can appear simple due to the short lines but you learn to appreciate it when you listen to the audio. It's delivered by an unique voice which brings the verse to life. Unfortunately we didn't get to listen to the second verse but I'm certain that would've been equally as awesome. We received a tale about inner demons, daily struggles and hardships which are, to me, carefully dosed and never lose authenticity. The "War behind my eyelids" line is beautiful and contributed to that atmospheric feel that I desired. Great job, LP!

The absolute biggest surprise was delivered by this guy. We all know him as the punchline heavy, yet comical battler and didn't really see any topical work from him, if at all. Then he comes in blowing shit out of the water and an audio?!?!?! Major props where props are meant to be given and this is exactly that moment. Ill came in with awesome constructive criticism about the one line/two line approach of the audio but I didn't catch that when I was first reading the verse with the beat playing in the background. Which is funny because I totally flowed it different than Rutter did in his audio and I see where Ill is coming from. The verse has a real raw, believable and gripping feel and this also contributed to an atmosphere I was looking for. I hope you keep recording, Rutter. I usually severely dislike British accents but I had no issue to listen to you at all.

The winner:

Believe me when I say this was extremely difficult for me. I decided to NOT include the audio's in the final verdict because this would cancel out all the non audio entries but I will say this. Ya'll were amazing. Not one audio felt the same and all had different strengths, regardless of the mixing/mastering quality.

After carefully reading every single entry a couple of times I'm giving the W to CHAIN. There was something about this approach that felt so incredibly unique to me. Now I do realize that it's basically half a story but it was "the" drop for me, if you understand whatever that means. Writing quality wise this really could've went to anyone. From the "simpler" verses to the highly complex ones. Every single entry was unique in it's own right.

I cannot thank you all enough for taking the time to writing with this beat in mind. It's one of my favorite beats ever and every one of you made something which I will (and would) listen to over and over again.

As for the next challenge we're still in deliberation about what we're exactly going to do. Be sure to keep your eyes out for an update.
#Bananas

iLL ScriptureZ View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 11-5-1
Form: LWWLWW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iLL ScriptureZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 7:46pm
dope shit Endeez Nuts...

Congrats CHAIN
Sammy View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Beacon of Light

Crew: Elision

Stats: 1-1-1
Form: LNW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 8:49pm
This was an epic kotm yo. Im actually surprise rhet didn't win (no slight to Chain).regardless, a well deserved win

SELF ACTIVATE View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 1-1-0
Form: WL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SELF ACTIVATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:49pm
Dope write up E. Shit was entertaining.

Congrats to the OG

And props to all those mentioned.
Lord Puente View Drop Down
Final Boss

Audio Champ

Stats: 4-2-0
Form: LWWWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lord Puente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:52pm
this was my top kotm hands down, had a lot of amazing entries this go around. congrats to chain for the win. endv thanks for the right up and for declaring a winner! nice job everyone!

oh, and thinks for giving me thr busted hyperlink in the write up, jerk.
Endeavor View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Wiggle wiggle said the bun that jiggle

Stats: 5-4-0
Form: WWLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Endeavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:57pm
Haha sorry LP. It happens sometimes for some reason. I'll fix it once I have the laptop. And Sammy I feel you man. His shit was phenomenal.
#Bananas

rhetorical View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stats: 2-1-0
Form: WWL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rhetorical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 12:02am
good work chain. . grats fam

good entries everyone 
alicewonder View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 2-1-2
Form: WWLNN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alicewonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 12:22am
Great read and congrats to Chain. 
Some very unique pieces and it was nice to see some unexpected entries. 
Crimson Juice View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 6-11-0
Form: LLWLW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crimson Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 6:09am
Thanks for the read and the time invested here Endeez,congrats CHAIN..peace.
"You need to learn how to make an exit,
before you can dare make an entrance".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic