Site Owner
Site Owner
Speaker of Wisdom & Truth

Text Rank: Unranked
Stats: 3-4-0
Form: WLLWLL
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awards - July 2014
    Posted: 04 August 2014 at 8:19pm

Last month with all the changes going on, I felt it was best to change the format for the monthly awards such as MC of the Month and Open Mic of the Month, so I'll give a brief intro before I get into the winners.

Intro

As you are likely aware, previously the awards had a thread with nominations and the member base would vote for the winner for that month. Since voting, in general, is an issue on LA, this has been changed to a Judge Panel of 5 to keep things moving and allow for a wider range of awards.

At the end of each month the judges will discuss in a private forum which they felt is the worthy winner for that month for all of the awards. The judges are evenly spread throughout the crews so there shouldn't be any bias.

Current Judges
  • Beans
  • Freeda5thDawg
  • Exoduzt
  • SwordedStyles
  • The Law

MC of the Month
This Months Winner: The Law

Honourable Mention: JBrenn and Freeda5thDawg

Quotes from the judges:

"I'm gonna nominate Law for not only consistent output and a fuckton of collabos, but the mag aswell definitely has to earn him a spot. Alongside making sigs and voting and feed, easy nomination."

"i would give law my vote for this month because he drops OMOTM material every time, his verses on collabs are dope. hes top battler at the moment and he has been contributing to audios"

Open Mic of the Month
Based on the discussions from the judges, this was a very hard month to decide, but in the end it came down to Exo's and Chain's. In the end they all decided on Exo's tourney verse. I've included some quotes below.

This Months Winner: Crying The Nights Away By Exoduzt, for the Urban Legends finale.

Honourable Mention: Rhyme Off by Chain

Quotes from the judges:

"Chains verse was just outstanding but with that.. Exo's verse had the depth, it had an amazing story with a great twist and its well written."

"The fact that he captured such a chilling mix of emotions from painful to terrifying to saddening really made a great impact on me as I read. Can't lie, Chain's piece was RIDICULOUS. Takes a lot of skill to do the type of rhyming he did and I was overly impressed and inspired by it."

Audio Mic of the Month
This is an old award that lasted for 2 months with very poor voting before being scrapped from the history LA. But with the vast improvements in Audio on the site, Audio Mic of the Month is now it's back!

This Months Winner: Now I Know by SwordedStylez

Honourable Mention: Feelin It by Ransom

Voter of the Month
A new award to show recognition to people putting in the undesirable job of voting on battles. Winners show a consistency in both quality and frequency of their voting.

This Months Winner: H4ZE

Honourable Mentions: JBrenn, Arthur and The Law

Sign Off

All of the above has been added to Hall of Fame and the respective people will get their badge under their username.

Hopefully the format will adapt and improve over time as I threw this together based on the discussions from the judges. Next month there will hopefully better reasoning and quotes from the judges.

I'd also like to add that that when ever any of the judges were nominated by other others, they either refrained from voting for their selves, nominated somebody else or excluded them selves completely from the judging when they became a clear winner.

Great and Glorious Supreme Presidential Leader of the People's Democratic Republic of LA
Beans View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: EMPIRE

Stats: 95-24-5
Form: WWWWWW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 8:42pm
true... not a bad start scotty. keep it up and we'll do our best to help
1-2 Season 1 Final Champ
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 9:02pm
I think it's an interesting way to change the awards and worth exploring. But, you shouldn't be able to receive an award if you're on the judging panel. I appreciate that people aren't voting for themselves, but it still undermines the credibility of it, especially when it's behind closed doors and not transparent. If you're a new member and you look at the awards and see the judges names all over the awards and honourable mentions it's just gonna be "smh"...
nigerchu View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Hunger Games

Stats: 3-6-0
Form: LLWLLL
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 9:06pm
Nice change Scotty. And Cuba does have an interesting point, but if you're here at least the month this awards are given, you notice that the people that were chosen, deserve it. 

Congrats to all of the winners, especially Law.
HUNGER GAMES
Trizzy Tre View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 30-7-1
Form: WLWLWW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 9:11pm

Props on this man. I think its a good idea.

Shankley View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Kratos Kind

Stats: 37-43-1
Form: WNLWWL
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Cuba Cuba wrote:

I think it's an interesting way to change the awards and worth exploring. But, you shouldn't be able to receive an award if you're on the judging panel. I appreciate that people aren't voting for themselves, but it still undermines the credibility of it, especially when it's behind closed doors and not transparent. If you're a new member and you look at the awards and see the judges names all over the awards and honourable mentions it's just gonna be "smh"...

Agreed I'm not saying there is any 'skullduggery' but there will be some people like "Hey these cats are just going for themselves" but the winners are well deserved. And that verse from Exo in the final was out of this world good, there would be 'shenanigans' if he didn't win.

* Thumbs up for anyone who gets the 'shenanigans' reference.

Edited by Shankley - 04 August 2014 at 9:21pm
The Amount of Fucks given: Zero
Point Blank View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Stats: 92-27-5
Form: WWNWWN
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Cuba Cuba wrote:

Yea I agree with this really. What criteria are you using for say, MC of the month? With all due respect, why is Freeda getting an honorable mention for MC of the month when he (please correct me if I'm wrong) dropped one verse all month? Don't get me wrong, it was dope, and he gives a lot more feedback than the majority of people on the site, but on that evidence I'm assuming the criteria has changed and I think it'd be good for that to be revealed so that others can see what they have to do in order to be MC of the month or at least get an honorable mention.
Arthur View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Text Rank: #5
Stats: 36-7-0
Form: WWWWLL
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 9:24pm
thanks for this. having that mc of the month thing under my name was annoying as it was outdated.

good decisions. though 2 winners are on the panel lol. ok then.

also. it's a travesty that CHAIN's verse was not open mic of the month. no offence whatsoever to exoduzt, his drop was dope. but that CHAIN verse was one of the best things i have ever read on this site.
spume corrupt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 20-7-1
Form: WLWLLL
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 9:50pm
Well done the winners
Kinda preferred the old way tbh

Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Crew: Elision

Stats: 41-7-5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 2:43am
in no way shape or form did I have any influence on me winning this month...just hope everyone is clear on that

Jay Homicide View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 9-3-0
Form: WWLWWW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 3:25am
Have you ever considered splitting MC of the month into two awards:

MC of the Month - For the actual best writer of the month from a rhyme stand point.

Member of the Month - For contributions etc.

When you read the title MC of the Month you usually think that the person who gets the award was the months best rapper, which should be won regardless of how much feedback/tourny's they've set up/anything else that promotes activity on the site/anything else they've done. It just feels like there's a distinction between the two, one is based on ability and the other is based on putting in work.

That's not a shot at Law either, since he is a good writer. Some months though you'll have someone who is the best writer losing out for not contributing in other areas, and also people who have contributed a lot missing out because their pen game isn't quite on point. Y'feel me?
Exoduzt View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member
NaCl

Stats: 41-7-5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 3:59am
^^ thats what im saying

Freeda5thDawg View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Crew: Lyricist Inc.

Stats: 5-1-0
Form: WWWLWW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Point Blank Point Blank wrote:

Yea I agree with this really. What criteria are you using for say, MC of the month? With all due respect, why is Freeda getting an honorable mention for MC of the month when he (please correct me if I'm wrong) dropped one verse all month? Don't get me wrong, it was dope, and he gives a lot more feedback than the majority of people on the site, but on that evidence I'm assuming the criteria has changed and I think it'd be good for that to be revealed so that others can see what they have to do in order to be MC of the month or at least get an honorable mention.

I'm sure we'll get to clarifying this next time. I surely don't feel like I deserve the honorable mention. How I agreed with Law getting it was based on his contributions and activity beyond just the "rap" side of things. I basically looked at it as "Member of the Month" rather than "MC" because that was part of the discussion. Considering how things turned out, I'm sure a decision will be made to either split or change the format because as you see in the quotes, it was about more than just being an "MC".

Cuba...me, personally, would definitely prefer to be out of consideration for these. I enjoy more being able to just be a fan of everyone else's work and seeing them be rewarded for their contributions. But I feel everyone, including the judges (excluding me), all deserve to be eligible. 
Cuba View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Legendary Assassin

King of LA

Stats: 47-22-0
Form: WWWWLW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 8:48pm
Yeah to be clear I'm not saying any of you are shiesty characters...you know I respect your credibility, my point was more how it looks like from a less well informed perspective, with the self nomination & behind closed doors discussions that I'm sure would've been 100% above board.

Like I say, I think it's interesting because it basically guarantees you get regular awards which is a good thing...but, I also think you lose that element of the "was never gonna win an award but is a nod to be nominated" which I don't think we should underestimate

With that in mind, how about something like a nominations thread every month...where judges ask for people's nominations and then go away and vote. If a judge is nominated then they can be considered for that category, if not, then they can't. Obviously judges can select different candidates...I.e. Nobody nominates Chain for MCOTM but judges think he is deserving winner. That way you lose the "bias" as the judge was nominated by someone else, but you keep everything else which is good about the system.

Anyways, sorry for starting the debate in this thread! Congrats to the winners...
Nigma View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Topical ChampOpen Mic of the Month
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 9:34pm
Props to everyone who put the work into this. Obviously a few kinks but thats to be expected with a new system. In the long run I feel this will be a much more accurate process. Congrats to the nominees, honorable mentions, and the winners
JBrenn View Drop Down
Superior Member
Superior Member

Crew: Tha Syndicate

Stats: 40-26-0
Form: WWLWWW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2014 at 8:08am
Congrats to the winners!!
Skep View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 1-1-0
Form: LW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2014 at 12:18pm
I honestly think the audio is backwards. Ransom should have won it, one good song compared too how many??? It's about consistency, then picking the strongest one they dropped... Feeling it was a stronger audio than SS's - no hate, this ain't about no crew or empire... scratch all that, this is coming from someone who knows audio and enjoys hip hop... Feeling it was a stronger joint than Now I know, and cuba does have a point, from perspective, it looks like Ransom never even had a chance at winning it... My two cents, take it how you want.
KOTD Contender
Live Battle Artist
The True Audio Champ
Verbal Assassin
The Law View Drop Down
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
God of the Minions

Battle Royale Champ

Stats: 64-8-8
Form: LNWWWW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2014 at 12:28pm
Calm down, kanye. 
Go my Minions!

Skep View Drop Down
Standard Member
Standard Member

Stats: 1-1-0
Form: LW
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2014 at 12:31pm
Who me??? For giving my opinion??? An honest an legit one??? Kayne??? Sit down Law, for reals. It's honest truth, only one I disagreed with. Feeling it was a better track. Thicker sound, better quality, overall better, that's not taking away from SS at all. I never said strip him of it. I just gave an OPINION. #SuckADickLittleMan
KOTD Contender
Live Battle Artist
The True Audio Champ
Verbal Assassin
Scotty32 View Drop Down
Site Owner
Site Owner
Speaker of Wisdom & Truth

Stats: 3-4-0
Form: WLLWLL
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2014 at 12:36pm
Skep, Open Mic of the Month and Audio Mic of the Month are not awarded to a person but to a post.

The fact is, If all of these awards were voted on by the community as it historically has, we would get nowhere. Just check the patchy history for them all in Hall of Fame. Check the old voting threads to see a lack of interest by the community to be involved in these things.

That is why a judging panel has been set up, so things can move faster without the inevitable lag of the community being forced to participate. The judges were picked to give a balanced and unbiased perspective to the panel. If you have any complaints about any of the judges, then you can contact me.

As usual, attempts to help improve the site are being undermined by the community throwing in conspiracy theories and general complaining. You all need to start making up your minds about what you actually want from this site. You all want awards but you don't want to vote on winners, nor does it seem do you want a judging panel to pick them out for you.

If this whiny and unproductive behaviour from the community in general doesn't die down, then you will find your selves losing the Hall of Fame, awards and belts along with future tournaments, events and battle leagues.

Great and Glorious Supreme Presidential Leader of the People's Democratic Republic of LA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic